Thursday, September 3, 2009

Encounters

If someone asked you today, right now, to tell them about Jesus . . . what would you say? So many times we tend to talk about where we go to church, or what is our denomination, or about some program we attend. Rarely, let me say this again with emphasis, rarely do we speak to others about Jesus Christ. For some (I dare say for many), talking about Jesus is just not something we do alot.

My prayer is that you would develop, through your own relationship with Christ, an answer to the question posted above. Scripture tells us we all will stand before Jesus some day. I wonder what He will ask us? It is my belief one of the things He will ask us is . . . what have you done with the revelation I have given you that I Am The Messiah? You remember the encounter story taken from the Gospel narratives. I love the narrative from the gospel of Mark. He places it after the miracle of feeding the 5,000. Incredibly, Jesus asks His disciples a question that cuts to the heart of their faith (and ours!).

"Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, Who do people say I am? They replied, Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.But what about you? He asked. Who do you say I am? Peter answered, You are the Christ."

You are the Christ . . . You are the Messiah. You are the Chosen One . . . the One prophesied by so many. You are our Savior and our Lord.

For many Christians these statements seem to be some far out Message. Indeed. The Message is radical. See, the Message does not come from some program, creed, doctrine, denomination, or even from humankind. No.
The Message comes from a revelation from God. Christ was revealed to Peter. Oh, they all say the miracles, they all saw what Jesus could do in their lives, they all heard the parables . . . yup, all true. Yet, it took one little question . . . 6 words . . . that cut to the very heart of what you believe. Who do you say that I am?

Jesus asked this question to His disciples . . . He still is asking the same question today. What would you say to Him right now? Do you seek Him in all you do? Do you give Him all your burdens and pain, indeed your very life? My prayer is that you would pause, even as you are reading this and tell Jesus how you would answer that one question . . . He waits patiently for your response . . . your encounter with the Master awaits . . .

Your brother in Christ,

Jeff

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." Mark 8:34-38 NIV

2 comments:

  1. I had always known Christ as my Savior. In my "under-developed" view of Him, that meant that I could do anything I wanted as long as I repented. Well, at least said I was sorry. It wasn't until I knew Him as Lord ... THE Sovereign Lord ... The LORD OF LORDS that He became real to me. That revelation of who He is has made all the difference in my life. Because if He's Lord of All, then I must submit my all to Him.... everything! The moment I gave Him everything, He became everything to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say "pay attention" and look at everyone you meet and interact with in a kinder, gentler and more open way. In time, you will be the person that you were born to be and you will know all about Jesus. :)

    Typically, however, I don't tell people about Jesus. I share my experiences and hope that this sharing guides people to their own understanding of "who is Jesus" and so on.

    Jeff, here's a word of encouragement from children's writer/poet, Shel Silverstein. Good advice, eh?

    Listen to the mustn'ts child.
    Listen to the don'ts.
    Listen to the shouldn't haves, the impossibles, the won'ts.
    Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me.
    Anything can happen child.
    Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

    ReplyDelete